2011年3月10日 星期四

Forced marriages ' record high '-South Wales Police

Forced Marriage Unit poster forced marriages are a ' hidden damage ', says Ch Supt Neil Kinrade South Wales Police say they have to do with the largest number of cases of forced marriage and honour-violence have ever seen.

Over the past 12 months, the force has dealt with 49 cases of forced marriage, up from a typical 30-35, with new cases almost every week.


The four Welsh forces were involved in about 60 cases, four in North Wales in six months.


The figures are released in conjunction with international women's day.


A forced marriage, as opposed to an arranged marriage, is where the bride or groom or both, does not consent to a marriage and are forced to accept it.


In many cases have reported that their family will bring shame or disgrace if they refuse.


Ch Supt Neil Kinrade, head of the Department of partnerships and communities of South Wales Police said forced marriage was a "poorly concealed" among some sectors of the community.


He said: "I'm glad that we're dealing with numbers [that] there are, however, we are still only dealing with a small number of actual incidents and practices that take place.


"This, between the community, is a hidden damage.

Continue reading the main story

"My background is very modern. None had been through it in my family. I was the eldest daughter. I was going to college. I wanted to be a teacher.


One day I came home and my mom was on the phone. She put the phone down and you go ' have had someone for you to marry '. I was like, ' me? ".


I was awakened by someone pulling my hair. And I heard something cool on my face, like a rifle.


Lampeggiata a flashlight in my face and all I saw was three men. Her husband, his brother and another man.


I was going to scream. He said: "make a sound, and I'll kill your mother". I remember that physically by shaking.


I don't think you should do, because that's exactly what I thought.


They must find the courage and the courage to speak up and ask for help. "

"You go ahead and often goes unchecked by senior members of the community who know is underway.

"I think it is less of a problem here more possibly places like Bradford and London, but nevertheless, it is a problem and it is something that we need to do something about it."


He believed that the strength of his had assumed a leading role on the issue of forced marriage, preparation of a training program that has now been used by over half of UK police forces, he said.


Strategies to help victims include providing them with a secret cell phone if they feared that they were lured into the country of their family of origin as a prelude to a forced marriage.


The force had established a "buddy system" where the strength of marriage "survivors" were a role model to those who were now going through the trauma.


' Complete shock '


Ch Supt Kinrade added: "we understand the issues and I believe that we are becoming more effective at dealing with it, but what I sense is happening is there is a clash of West v East."


Young people were educated in South Wales and were "very westernised" and their families to give them the news that they had a partner chosen for them, he said.


"And that often comes as a complete shock to them, against their intent to go to University, perhaps to follow a career path. And this is where many young people are rejecting it, "he added.


"And I think it's important, because here in the United Kingdom-and this is the Government and the police-people must have their fundamental human rights to determine their own future."


Gwent Police said had 14 accidents recorded violence in 2009/10 and a further five in 2010/11.


Dyfed Powys police said they had been involved in two cases of forced marriage in the past two years.


View the original article here

沒有留言:

張貼留言